Here are some of the Autodesk 3ds Max 2017 changes are:
– Viewport navigation: Orbit point of interest / Orbit subobject
– Viewport zoom is now infinite
– Local Aligned coordinate system for subobjects. Verts and edges have local coordinate systems.
– mirror tool now has geometry mode – adds geometry modifier
– UV editor; flatten by material id
– UV editor; flatten by smoothing groups
– A lot of new tools in curve editor + buffer curves
– Offset controllers
– Camera sequencer
– Physical material
– Slate material editor can now pick mats from legacy editor sample slots via RMB
– New render added – ART. Seems like it’s the same raytracing engine used in 360, but with animation ability.
– Mental ray is now installed separately (as a sub-component).
– Scene converter – converts scenes to ART renderer.