– Master the basics of game programming in SFML using modern C++
– Discover the main modules of SFML and understand the power it gives you
– Lay the foundation of a game by applying game design patterns
– Set up a cross-platform game project using CMake in the command line
– Get a friendly introduction to SFML and a step-by-step implementation of a game
SFML is a framework that allows you to write games and run them on various operating platforms, including Windows, Linux, and OS X. With a simple programming interface to the different components of the underlying device, SFML gives aspiring game developers the ability to create and publish enjoyable games.
Building Games with SFML will guide you through the entire process of game development. You will master the main features of SFML and become confident in architecting and designing games because everything you learn will translate to your own project. Even experienced developers are highly likely to learn something new.
To begin with, you’ll learn how to compile and install SFML before introducing the system, window, graphics, and audio modules of SFML.
We then move on to the development of a clone of the Pac-Man game, called Pac-Woman, enhanced by entertaining modern features, starting by laying the foundation of the game after you understand key game development patterns. Piece by piece, from the game loop to the implementation of artificial intelligence, we will build an engaging game. It will include the implementation of game states, the modeling of entities, the animation of characters, and rendering the maze. Finally, this course concludes by adding gameplay and putting it all together to produce an exciting and challenging game.