Black&White Long Exposure Photography
1. Introduction Joel Tjintjelaar: International award winning Black and White photographer Joel Tjintjelaar
gives an introduction to his style of photography, using long exposures and how he processes them to
black and white, using his self developed method called SGM and iSGM.
2. Seascape photoshooting: in this part Joel Tjintjelaar takes you on a small trip to one of his favorite subjects to show you how he approaches it and photographs it: the Zeelandbridge in the Netherlands.
From setting up the shot, to actually taking the shot.
3. Architecture photoshooting: Joel Tjintjelaar takes you to the city of Rotterdam where he’s going to
demonstrate how he shoots long exposure architectural photographs and how this subject matter
differentiates from long exposure seascapes. Get a look behind the scene on location how Joel shoots
his award winning architectural photographs.
4. Determining vision architecture: an important part of fine art architecture is to determine the vision.
Joel explains how he looks at architecture and how he interprets it in the context of Black and White photography.
5. Determining vision seascapes: an important part of fine art architecture is to determine the vision.
Joel explains how he looks at seascapes and landscapes and how he interprets it in the context of Black and White fine art photography.
6. RAW optimization conversion: before Joel starts the actual Black and White photography processing of his images he always makes sure the original color file is optimized by performing a few basic actions in the raw file.
7. Masks selections: a very important aspect in Joel’s workflow is the use of selections to control every aspect in his image. Joel demonstrates how he creates his accurate selections.
8. Curves tonal range: the curves tool is one of the tools in Photoshop Joel uses the most to control the tonality in larger parts of a subject in his image and to ensure he covers a full tonal range.
A demonstration how Joel uses this tool.
9. Merging sharpening: in this part demonstrates a few basic functions in Photoshop necessary in his workflow.
10. Finishing touches: a final part of Joel’s workflow after the interpretation and translation to Black and White is
to check the image meticulously for artifacts, noise and other unwanted elements in his photo. Thegoal is perfection, see how Joel takes this aspect very seriously.
11. Presence – edges: In this part Joel explains and demonstrates what separates his work from other
work. It’s the concept of creating presence in his images by altering tonal relationships and definingedges that will eventually result in a subject with depth.
12. Selective Gradient Masking: Selective Gradient Masking or SGM and iSGM are proprietary methods developed by Joel himself to merge differently treated parts of an image together in a natural way and to create subtle tonal transitions and depth in his work. While creating presence is a goal in his work, SGM is the ultimate tool to achieve that goal.
13. Iterative Selective Gradient Masking: iterative selective gradient masking or iSGM is the same as
SGM but Joel demonstrates how incredible and very smooth looking effects can be obtained byapplying SGM in an iterative way.
14. Seascape workflow: in this part Joel demonstrates how he uses all of his basic tools and methods in a complete workflow for the creation of Black and White seascapes. From start to finish.
15. Architecture workflow: in general an architecture workflow is different from a seascapes workflow.
It is far more time expensive and cumbersome than a seascape workflow. Have a look at how Joel creates his minimalistic architectural images that stand out from the rest and have been imitated many times in terms of style and look and feel by others.
16. Interview: an interview with Joel Tjintjelaar
Black&White Long Exposure Photography Joel Tjintjelaar.part1.rar
Black&White Long Exposure Photography Joel Tjintjelaar.part2.rar
Black&White Long Exposure Photography Joel Tjintjelaar.part3.rar
Black&White Long Exposure Photography Joel Tjintjelaar.part4.rar
Black&White Long Exposure Photography Joel Tjintjelaar.part5.rar